Corporate Folly Claims Another Beloved Venue

Bellingham's beloved Newstand is being forced to close after 18
years of local ownership. Not only is The Newstand a great
place to buy all manner of publications, it's
also famous (at least locally) for fighting, and winning,
a court case involving censorship.

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/102/story/479887.html

Over the past decade I've sent so many students into the shop
to look at creative writing journals, as well as GLBT
and news magazines. This impacts me as a teacher;
I'm also sad to think my morning coffee run won't involve
stopping by The Newstand to chat with Ira and
look at newspapers from around the globe.

We're lucky to have a number of really solid,
high-quality, locally-owned shops in and around
downtown Bellingham -- but for how long?

Comments

Unknown said…
This is tragic. I used to love to pick up a few good words and bring them to work with me...